“Fifteen city workers who suffered health problems from working at Ground Zero will be the first to get payouts from a $2.8 billion 9/11 fund created by Congress two years ago.
The biggest award is $1.5 million, to a 43-year-old firefighter who had to stop working because of respiratory problems, officials of the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund said yesterday.
The minimum awards are $10,000. All are for respiratory ailments, said Sheila Birnbaum, the lawyer overseeing the fund.
Fourteen of the payees are firefighters and one worked for the city Department of Correction.
Individuals offered payouts are getting only 10 percent up front. Whether they eventually get the full amount that Birnbaum has deemed appropriate will depend on how many people file claims and whether Congress funds the entire cumulative payout”.
- 9/11 fund makes 1st payments to sick responders (seattletimes.com)
- 9/11 fund makes 1st payments to sick responders (salon.com)
- 9/11 fund makes 1st payments to sick responders (onlineathens.com)
- 9/11 fund makes first payments (crainsnewyork.com)
- 9/11 fund begins payments to sick responders (usnews.nbcnews.com)